If you’re visiting Southern Germany, we highly recommend that you stay in the Black Forest. This region, which inspired the Grimm Brothers for many of their fairytales, is dotted with traditional villages, dense forests and rolling hills.
The area spreads out from Freiburg in the south to Baden-Baden in the north, with lots of places worth visiting in between.
One of the greatest difficulties when visiting the Black Forest in Germany is finding the best place to stay. You will come across many Black Forest hotels in lots of different villages, but how do you know which one to choose?
Ideally, you want to be close to the best places to visit in the Black Forest. You also need to choose whether you wish to stay in a village or town or prefer a remote location in the mountains. Are you travelling with a family, or are you looking to relax in a luxury hotel?
We want to help you figure out where to stay in the Black Forest in Germany. In this article, you will learn about the best towns and villages first, and we will introduce specific hotels depending on your needs further down. This will make it fast and easy for you to book your holidays.
Best towns in the Black Forest, Germany
Wolfach is a small town in the heart of the Black Forest. With its cute Old Town, Wolfach is worth a visit even if you’re not staying overnight.
Choosing a hotel in this central location means that you’re close to the best things to do in the Black Forest. You can visit the UNESCO town of Baden-Baden on a day trip, go to Triberg to see the highest waterfalls in Germany or venture even further south for a spectacular drive through the Southern Black Forest.One of the best ways to see the Black Forest is as part of a Germany road trip. Find out everything you need to know in our
Plus, you can also find many attractions nearby. The open-air museum in Gutach is well worth a visit, and if you want more adrenalin, head to the nearby toboggan.
These attractions, combined with the cute town, make Wolfach one of the best places to stay in the Black Forest in Germany.
Here are some suggestions for where to stay in or near Wolfach:
Mid-Range: We stayed in the Bartleshof and absolutely loved it. This family-run hotel is located in an old farm building, and the rooms are beautifully decorated with traditional furniture from the area. Our apartment included a small kitchen, and we even had a balcony. If you want to find out more information, click here for photos, reviews and prices!
Budget: It’s not easy to find budget accommodation in Wolfach. The Schwarzwaldhotel in Wolfach offers affordable rates, though, that often include breakfast. It receives excellent reviews and also provides decently priced single rooms if you’re a solo traveller. Go and book your stay now!
A bit more comfort: If you are looking for a hotel with a spa, then you should head to the Kirnbacher Hof. The same family has been running the hotel since 1891, and if they’ve been in business for so long, then you can be sure that they’re great. The rooms are modern and clean, and you can find plenty of things to do nearby. Check out availability and prices on booking.com!
Triberg is another excellent place to stay if you want to be close to many attractions in the Black Forest. You can find this town around half an hour south of Wolfach, and it is home to the Triberg Falls, the highest waterfalls in Germany.
Triberg is also the best place to buy cuckoo clocks in the Black Forest. These clocks originated from the area, and on the outskirts, you can see the biggest cuckoo clock in the world. You can also shop for souvenirs at one of the many shops in town.
Here are some hotels with excellent ratings in Triberg that you should check out for your stay:
Mid-Range: If you’re looking for a three-star hotel within walking distance of the Triberg Waterfalls, you should stay at the Hotel Garni Central. From here, it only takes five minutes to reach the falls, and you can easily find lots of hiking trails nearby, too. Plus, most rates include a breakfast buffet, so head over to booking.com to check it out!
Budget: While the Hornihäusle isn’t located in Triberg itself, it is one of the most affordable hotels you can find in the area. The hotel is located in a traditional building from Southern Germany, which is one of the biggest draws of this accommodation. Plus, even though it’s a bit outside Triberg, it still only takes 15 minutes to reach the biggest cuckoo clock in the Black Forest! Go and check out prices and availability now!
A bit more comfort: The Best Western Plus Schwarzwald Residence with its Apartment King rooms is one of the most comfortable hotels to stay in Triberg. Plus, guests have the chance of booking a 3-course dinner during their stay. If you’re wondering what to do in the Black Forest besides visiting villages and hiking, it’s trying the local food. So make sure to profit from it during your stay. Go and take a look at photos, prices and reviews now!
Rottweil is easily one of the best Black Forest towns and the perfect place if you want to stay in a city.
Its cute and compact city centre draws visitors in with its painted houses and large pedestrian zone. The appearance of the main street has changed very little since the 16th century, and many of the buildings you see are hundreds of years old.
You can also find lots of cafes and restaurants here. Rottweil is a bit on the edge of the Black Forest, but connections are good if you want to explore the area.
Here are some great hotels for your stay:
Mid-Range: The MY HOME Hotel Lamm in Rottweil is perfect if you want to stay in the historic centre. The hotel has its own bar, but it’s also close to all the restaurants and cafes if you prefer to go out. Plus, you can self-check in at any time, so you don’t have to worry about arriving late. Go and find more information here!
Budget: The Schwarzwald Zimmer & Schwarzwald Design Apartment is your best bet if you don’t want to spend a fortune on hotels in the Black Forest. The rooms are spacious, and the larger apartments also include a kitchen if you want to cook your own meals. Click here to read reviews and check availability and prices.
Titisee-Neustadt is one of the most popular and also one of the best places in the Black Forest. With its location at the edge of a lake, it attracts visitors all year long.
Plus, you can find some of the best hiking in the Black Forest nearby. Head to the nearby Mount Feldberg, where you can explore lots of hiking trails. A great option is to trek around picturesque Lake Feldsee, but you can also climb to the top of the mountain or explore the forests.
If you’re visiting in winter, the Feldberg usually disappears under a thick layer of snow. Using Titisee-Neustadt as a base, you can ski on the mountain or explore the region with snowshoes.
The town of Titisee-Neustadt is made up of two neighbourhoods, Titisee and Neustadt. The former is where you need to look for hotels if you want to be close to the lake, whereas the latter is less touristy and more residential.
Here are some suggestions on where to stay:
Mid-Range: The Sonneneck Hotel is the perfect choice if you’re looking for mid-range hotels in Titisee. The Black Forest is home to many family-run hotels, which often include breakfast in their price, and this is one of them. Click here to learn more about the Sonneneck Hotel and what it offers! The only downside is that children aren’t allowed to stay here, but don’t worry. We cover the best family-friendly hotels further down in this post.
Budget: The Pension Bergseeblick is one of the most affordable options in this area, especially since the price includes breakfast. From here, it’s only a short walk to the lake, and you’re even within walking distance to the train station. Go and check out reviews and pictures now!
A bit more comfort: If we had to choose a very nice hotel in this area, we would opt for Treschers Schwarzwald Hotel. This four-star hotel is located right on the edge of the lake and even includes a private beach. If the weather isn’t great, you can relax in the spa area instead. What else could you ask for? Click here to check rates and availability now!
If you’re looking for Northern Black Forest accommodation, then you should consider Calw. This cute place with its impressive Old Town full of half-timbered houses is easily one of the best villages in the Black Forest.
We spent a few hours here during our Germany road trip, but we sure wish we had been able to stay longer. One of Germany’s most well-known writers, Herman Hesse, comes from here and you can visit a museum to learn more about him.
Or you can head to the ruins of the Hirsau Monastery or go hiking in the nearby Monbachtal Valley. You have lots of options if you decide to stay in Calw.
Here are some hotels you should check out for your stay:
Mid-Range: The Hotel Rössle is a solid option if you’re looking for a traditional hotel in Calw. You get to stay in a half-timbered house, and if you want to try traditional food from the area, you can also find a restaurant inside the hotel. Go and check out rates and availability now!
Budget: If you’re on a budget, your best bet is to rent a whole apartment. Holiday apartments and AirBNBs in the Black Forest are often cheaper than comparable hotel rooms. Plus, you have a kitchen, so you don’t have to eat out for every meal. In Calw, Hermann’s Neue Post offers modern apartments with a kitchenette right in the middle of town. Plus, guests can use the shared rooftop terrace! Click here to see prices and book your stay now!
A bit more comfort: Remember those monastery ruins we mentioned above? Just next to them, you can find the Hotel Kloster Hirsau. This four-star hotel offers comfortable rooms, an indoor swimming pool and a large spa area. Perfect for relaxing after a day out! Click here to read reviews and find out more!
Baden-Baden is, without a doubt, one of the best towns to stay in the Black Forest in Germany. The city was recently named UNESCO due to its spa heritage, and coming here allows you to benefit from these spas and explore the many museums.
Plus, if you get tired of being in a city, you’re very close to some of the best hikes in the Black Forest. Baden-Baden is well-connected both by train and highway, and it’s large enough that you have many hotels to choose from.
Here are some options that you should check out:
Mid-Range: If you’re staying in Hotel Beek, you’re just a few steps away from one of Baden-Baden’s famous spas. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, and most rates include breakfast. Plus, when you come home in the afternoon, you can sit down and enjoy some cake in the cafe. Go and book your stay now!
Budget: Self Check-In hotels have become more and more popular over the last few years, and they are always a great option if you’re on a budget. THE ADAMS is one of those. With its location in the city centre and its modern rooms, it is one of the best budget options in Baden-Baden. Click here to read reviews and learn more!
A bit more comfort: If you want to stay in a five-star hotel, then you’ll love staying in Baden-Baden. The Black Forest is home to many luxury hotels (we’ll talk more about them further down), but there are few places where you can find as many as in Baden-Baden. The Brenners Park-Hotel & Spa is one of them. With its extensive gardens, luxurious rooms and Roman-style swimming pool, it almost makes you feel as if you’re staying in a palace. Click here to learn more and book your stay!
Freiburg is the biggest city in the Black Forest. With its location in Southern Germany, it might not be as central as Triberg or Wolfach, but it’s still well-connected. From here, you can reach most activities in the Black Forest in a reasonable amount of time.
Freiburg is famous for its Old Town, museums and hours of sunshine. Did you know that it’s the sunniest city in all of Germany?
Here are the best Southern Black Forest hotels in Freiburg that you should check out:
Mid-Range: If you want to stay in the middle of the Old Town, you should look into the Hotel Rappen am Münsterplatz. This hotel receives excellent reviews, and most rates include breakfast. Plus, the rooms are very modern and well-equipped, so it’s a great place to stay when exploring Freiburg. Click here to read reviews, see images and learn more!
Budget: If you are a backpacker looking to stay in a dorm, you should head to the Black Forest Hostel in Freiburg. It is one of the cheapest places you can find in the Black Forest, and it receives excellent reviews from travellers. Walking to the city centre only takes 10 minutes, and the staff can help you plan any excursions into the Black Forest. Find out more and book your stay now!
If you prefer a hotel to a hostel, then you should check out the Aparthotel Adagio Access Freiburg. We already mentioned that apartments in the Black Forest usually offer better value for budget travellers. In this hotel, you have a kitchenette and all the equipment you need to prepare your own meals. Check out prices and availability now!
A bit more comfort: If you’re looking for a five-star hotel on the edge of the Old Town, you are going to love the Colombi Hotel. All rooms are elegantly decorated, and the hotel features an indoor pool, a gym and three restaurants. Click here to learn more and book your stay!
Best Black Forest hotels by type
Best luxury hotels in the Black Forest
If you want to stay in 5-star hotels in the Black Forest in Germany, you’re in luck. You can find many luxury hotels throughout the region.
Some are located in cities like Freiburg and Baden-Baden, and we have already mentioned them above. But you can also find Black Forest luxury hotels in the middle of the forest. These hotels usually have a large spa area and are perfect if you want to relax in the evening and reconnect with nature during the day.
Here are some hotels you should consider for your stay:
- The Brenners Park-Hotel & Spa, which is located in Baden-Baden, is famous for its large park. We love that the building almost looks like a palace. Rooms here are spacious and luxurious, and you can enjoy your time in the Roman-style pool. Plus, you’re close to excellent restaurants and lots of attractions in Baden-Baden. Click here to see photos and check availability!
- The Hotel Engel Obertal is the perfect Black Forest luxury hotel if you want to relax for a few days. It has a large spa area with a sauna, a hot tub, a steam bath and an indoor pool. If you want to explore the Black Forest, you can find a hiking trail in front of the hotel. Find out now if the hotel is available for your trip!
- Do you want to stay near Lake Titisee, in the middle of the Southern Black Forest Nature Park? Then you should head to Parkhotel Adler. This hotel has everything you could possibly want – multiple pools, a large spa area, saunas and four hectares of parkland. Plus, all meals are included, so you’re guaranteed to enjoy excellent food! Click here to book your stay now!
Best budget hotels in the Black Forest
If you’re looking for cheap hotels in the Black Forest in Germany, you will have to search for a while. While the area is famous for its family-run guesthouses that offer great value, most are mid-range hotels.
Hostels are even more challenging to find than cheap hotels in the Black Forest. Your best bet is to head to Freiburg, where you can stay in the Black Forest Hostel.
If you prefer to stay in a hotel, look at our suggestions above or check out the following places. You will need to budget approximately 60€ or more per night, depending on the season.
- When we found Hotel Petra, we were surprised by how affordable it is. The rooms are very modern and well-equipped, and you can find lots of hiking trails nearby. Check out prices and availability now!
- We mentioned before that staying in an apartment in the Black Forest in Germany is a great way to save money. Apartments are usually cheaper than standard hotel rooms, and you can save money on food by preparing your own meals. Therefore, make sure to check out Apartment-Pension Im Eichenweg. The inside is decorated traditionally with lots of wood, and the apartment comes with a terrace where you can enjoy your evening. Click here to find out more and book your stay!
- You can find Haus Maria Lindenberg in the Southern Black Forest, close to Freiburg. The hotel receives excellent ratings for its beautiful location and the stunning views you have from here. The rooms are modern and clean, and you can find lots of things to do in the surroundings. Go and look at photos and reviews now!
Best family hotels in the Black Forest
Are you travelling with children? Then you’ll be happy to learn that many hotels in the Black Forest cater to families.
Germans love going to the area with their kids, often staying at farms where they can enjoy nature and make friends with other guests. Plus, you can find plenty of things to do in the Black Forest that children love. Take them on a boat ride on Lake Titisee, for example, head to a summer toboggan track or explore the theme park “Europapark” near Freiburg.
Here are some of the best hotels in the Black Forest in Germany that cater to families:
- We already mentioned the Bartleshof further up. It’s a farm near Wolfach that is the perfect Black Forest family hotel. They offer apartments large enough for families, and there’s a pool where children can play during the day. When we stayed here, we saw lots of kids playing together and having fun. Click here to learn more and book your next stay!
- In Germany, you can find a chain of hotels called “Familotel”. These cater to families and are perfect if you’re looking for a place to stay that your children will enjoy. In the Black Forest, you should check out the Hotel Engel – Familotel Hochschwarzwald. They offer comfortable rooms or apartments for the whole family, plus there’s a playground and a pool for the children. Click here to see all amenities and check availability!
- The Kempfenhof has apartments for families located in a traditional Black Forest farmhouse. The hotel offers lots of activities for kids, like horseriding, exploring the farm together with dog “Bailey”, or even donkey trekking. You need to book a minimum of two nights, but with so much to see and do in this area, that shouldn’t be a problem. Check out rates and availability now!
Bike- and motorcycle-friendly hotels in the Black Forest
With its rolling hills, cute villages and windy roads, the Black Forest is popular with both cyclists and motorcyclists.
If you’re moving around on two wheels, you’re in luck. Many Black Forest hotels in Germany have special offers for you. Some specialise in cyclists, while others are perfect for those that want to explore the region on a motorbike.
Check out these hotels, which are going to make your trip a lot easier:
- In the Southern Black Forest, you can find the Hotel Restaurant Schwörer. This hotel offers covered parking for motorbikes, tools and cleaning equipment. Ask at the reception to get suggestions for the best tours in the area. Click here to book your stay now!
- The Hotel Sonnenschein is not just the perfect place to stay for anyone exploring the Black Forest by bike; it is also one of the best hotels for those who did not bring their own bikes. The hotel rents out e-bikes either for a whole day or just for a few hours. This offer is perfect if you want to spend a day out exploring without your car. Click here to see rates and availability!
- The Black Forest Bike Hostel is the best bike-friendly hostel in the Black Forest. Rates are reasonable, and many of their apartments even include a kitchen. If you come with your own bike, you can lock it away in the garage, so it doesn’t get stolen. Chargers are included for e-bikes. And if you want to rent a bike for a day, this is an option as well. Check out photos and reviews, then book your stay!
Best campsites in the Black Forest
Accommodation in the Black Forest can be expensive, and, as we’ve stated multiple times already, there are very few hostels and actual budget hotels available. But what about campsites?
Staying at a campsite might save you some money if you bring your own tent. Be warned, though, that prices are not always as low as you might imagine.
Camping has different advantages, though. You are closer to nature and more likely to spend time outside. It’s also easier to get to know other people since you’ll be closer to many other travellers.
If you like those advantages but don’t want the discomfort of sleeping in a tent, many camping sites in the Black Forest also offer motorhomes and small apartments for rent.
Here are some campsites that you should check out:
- The Ferienanlage Kirchzarten is perfect if you want to rent a motorhome or even a small hut. All apartments and homes are clean and modern, with kitchens that allow you to cook your own food. The campground also features an outdoor pool, which is perfect if you’re visiting in summer. Click here to learn more about the different options you can book!
- Natur-Camping Langenwald is easily one of the best camping sites in the Black Forest and perfect if you want to stay as close to nature as possible. Prices are very reasonable, especially if you bring your own tent. You also have the option of renting a log cabin, if you prefer more comfort. There’s a restaurant at the campground where you can have dinner, and the owners even offer a bread service, bringing you freshly baked bread every morning. Click here to learn more and contact the owners to book your stay!
- Camping Erbenwald offers lots of options for those who want to stay here. You can bring an RV or a tent, but they also have some pretty awesome log homes that look like giant wine barrels for those who prefer glamping to camping. How cool is that? Click here to check them out and book your stay!
As you can see, you have lots of options when you stay in the Black Forest. No matter where you have your base, we are sure that you are going to love your holidays as much as we did.
One of the best ways to explore the Black Forest is as part of a road trip through Germany. We have a post with everything you need to know about road tripping through Southern Germany, including an itinerary, an overview of the best places to visit and answers to your questions about driving in Germany. Go and check it out now!
We also have lots of other resources that will help you plan your trip through Germany:
- Flying to Frankfurt? Check out the best things to do in Frankfurt
- Explore Bad Homburg, a traditional German town
- Visit in December to see the Frankfurt Christmas Market
- Learn how to visit the fairytale castle Neuschwanstein
Until your next adventure!
Like it? Pin it!